Groups of hosting solutions
A hosting service appertains to stockpiling and/or sharing specific web content on a hosting server hosted by a hosting vendor. There are different forms of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's study them. In this way, you can decide what you need, based on whether you wish to create a website, electronic mail accounts, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by particular companies, which lets you share enormous files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php website files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage services are often supported by exhibiting advertisements beside the download links, while a timer forces you to await a certain stretch of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you own a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a totally inapt explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would share the load between autonomous sets of web servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving miscellaneous web space hosting services (email, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a brand of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some corporations provide a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting variant is suitable if you want to share a vast amount of pictures with friends or associates since the solution is mostly free of cost. You will receive a random link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to taking care of your mail accounts. Some firms provide web page hosting solutions for web pages, but do not offer an email service. If you would like to run an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to own a web site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can open email accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video file creates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with several videos and several hundred website visitors, you may have trouble with your website hosting supplies. Embedding the video will enable you to use as many videos as you would like without hassling about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to possess a site. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the aforesaid hosting types since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and e-mail accounts, upload videos, and so on. At CloudNEO, for instance, you can view web hosting and dedicated server hosting packages that allow you to have all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the typical e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are created for particular content exclusively.